Monday, September 27, 2010

Haven't got time for the pain...or anything else, really...

I have a cold.  In the past month the baby has had two colds, the husband has two colds and the three-year-old has has three colds.  I am just succumbing to my first cold and I'm doing it kicking and screaming.  I don't have time to get a cold.  I was in denial for a few days and then I finally let myself cough.  The sneezes I couldn't stop.  But then sneezing doesn't mean you have a cold really.  What?  Allergy season is pretty much over?  Ok, then.  I have a cold.

So a few days back, sometime last week, I make some amazing Kalbi ribs, or Korean style short-ribs, for the first time.  This was before I had the cold, or before I admitted I had the cold.  They were amazingly easy, which I always like, and super tasty, which keeps the husband happy.  I took pics and planned to write something about them that night but the baby had other plans for me.  Her cold was in full swing and she was not happy and decided no one else should be happy either.  Needless to say, we didn't get a lot of sleep that night.  But at least I had the forethought to take the photos right?  So now, I give you my Kalbi ribs.




KALBI – KOREAN SHORT RIBS

3 lbs. sliced short ribs
2/3 C. soy sauce
1/4 C. sesame seed oil
1/3 C. water
1/2 C. sugar
3 cloves garlic
2 Tbs. crushed toasted sesame seeds
1 onion, sliced
1 bunch scallions, sliced 3 ” long sections 


I left out the onion and scallions because I was in a hurry.

Combine soy sauce, sesame seed oil, water and sugar in a large zip-lock bag.  Shake until sugar is dissolved.  Add garlic, onion and scallions and combine.  Add short ribs and make sure to coat both sides with marinade.  Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour, but preferably a couple of hours.  After pre-heating grill , cook short ribs about 3-4 minutes per side on medium high.  If you don't have a grill, or if you ran out of propane like we did, you can broil the ribs for 3-4 minutes per side on high and they will turn out great!

When I started cooking the ribs, I took the marinade and boiled it for a few minutes and then threw in some green beans and they turned out divine.  Add a little brown rice and you've got a meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment