Sunday, October 3, 2010

Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner? Yes!


 I love me some potatoes!  I do have a bit of the Irish in me, after all.  And what better way to get in touch with my inner leprechaun then with rainbow potatoes?  Ok, so they're not really called rainbow potatoes.  I believe they are marketed as Tri-color Potatoes, when sold together, but when sold separately they are simply known as Yukon Gold, Red, and Purple Potatoes.  I got these at Costco.

I had the potatoes I was craving but what to make with them?  I had also been craving Quiche and everyone knows potatoes go great with eggs....I know!  Quiche with shredded potato crust!  I got the idea from a recipe I found at For the Love of Cooking but I adapted it A LOT.  If you follow her recipe instead of mine you will get a tasty, but completely different than mine, quiche.


As I am a firm believer in using what you have in your fridge/pantry, this is what determined what went into the quiche.  I wanted to use the bacon that I thought I had in the freezer but I was mistaken so I chopped up about 1/4 of a Kielbasa sausage instead.  For veggies I had some baby spinach and zucchini on hand so in they went.  I also had some broccoli, which I enjoy in quiche but I've found that too many people at the party gets crowded so I saved the broccoli for next time.  And for cheese?  I was fresh out of Gruyere so I chopped up some Swiss and was thrilled to find that I had some Feta lying around and threw a couple handfuls of that in too.


  • 10 small tri-color potatoes, shredded (I used 4 Yukon Gold, 3 Red, and 3 Purple)
  • Olive oil or olive oil cooking spray
  • about 1/4 Kielbasa sausage, diced
  • 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced finely
  • 1/2 cup of fresh spinach, diced
  • 1/4 cup of feta cheese
  • 10 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup zucchini, diced
  • 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste 
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a pie dish with cooking spray. Shred the potatoes into a medium bowl and mix thoroughly. Smash the shredded potatoes all over the bottom and sides of a 9 ionch pie pan, making sure to press them firmly. Season with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and garlic powder, to taste. Bake in the oven for 12-13 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.


In a small frying pan, saute Kielbasa and onion for about 5 minutes.  Add zucchini and spinach until the spinach is wilted.  Sprinkle the sauteed mixture and cheeses on top of the potatoes Beat the eggs and season with sea salt, and freshly cracked pepper. Pour the egg mixture on top of the veggies and sausage.


 Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center of the quiche comes out clean - don't overcook. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing. Yum!

3 comments:

  1. Love the idea of a potato crust on a quiche!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out much better than I expected. Kind of like having eggs and hash browns. Tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nearly like a proper Spanish Tortilla, the mysteries of which was taught me by a loony Frenchman from the Pyrenees...

    ReplyDelete